Saturday 28 September 2013

Birth Mom Call

I haven't submitted our portfolio yet, but we got a call about a birth mom earlier this week.  I had told Farmie just the day before they called that I felt like they were already talking about us to birth moms.  And apparently they were!

This is the birth mom's 5th pregnancy.  She has drug use history and is trying to cut back on smoking for the pregnancy.  She is only 10 weeks along so part of the agreement would be that we would have to pay for her housing until she gave birth.  She is part Native American, but the tribe is ok with her adopting out the baby through our agency.

My initial response was no when I first talked to Farmie right after getting off the phone with the agency.  Then we both started questioning how quick we were to respond.  Then we discussed it more and felt like our initial response was what was best.  We didn't feel like this was our baby.

Maybe because it happened so quickly and we haven't even given them our photo book yet or maybe it was the situation or some combination of everything.  Either way, it just didn't feel right.  The agency was very gracious when we told them that it didn't sound like a good fit for us.  They responded better than I expected.

But we're thrilled that we are already being considering and that they are keeping us in mind already!  I really feel like once I get the portfolio done it will happen pretty quickly.  I'm halfway there.  10 pages done and 10 more to go.

Dinner went really well with the couple that have twins.  We related very quickly to them.  They used the same IVF doctor that we used and did multiple cycles with one positive pregnancy test that later declined.  They were really easy to talk to and are so happy with their new family.  It was great to see such a positive experience with the agency and adoption.  It seems like everyone we talked to about IVF had a terrible time and everyone we talk to about adoption are thrilled with their family.  Megan offered to help with our portfolio and I will take her up on it.  It will be nice to have someone look over it when I'm done and give suggestions.  I'm also really happy that Farmie has her husband to talk to as well.  I think it's really important for him to have a guy to relate to during all of this.  Their boys were adorable and I got some serious baby cuddle time in and fed one of the twins his evening bottle. (Sigh)  They were so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment