Saturday 28 September 2013

Health Update

Test results came back for some of the cultures and our birth mom has HPV.  From what I've read it doesn't affect the baby except in rare cases although it can be transmitted during birth, but since it's a boy I'm less concerned. Men are carriers and sometimes don't show symptoms.  It is associated with throat cancer in men, but linked to ovarian and cervical cancer in women.  We can't control it being transmitted and there is nothing that they can do during pregnancy.

Besides that the baby is steadily growing and has a great heartbeat.  The next appointment is an ultrasound on 9/20.

I took the birth mom shopping and we got her some new pants and undershirts.  I had a ton of maternity clothes that I had gradually accumulated during IVF.  I never bought any actual maternity pants or some of the underlayer clothes.  She was wearing the same pair of pants pretty much every day and they were starting to get tight.  It seemed like when she put the new pants on with the large comfy elastic band her belly and the baby just kind of relaxed outward.  She is getting big and I can tell a difference each week.  My relationship with her is still great.  I hope it continues.

The birth mom is getting some dental work done today.  Due to growing up in poverty this is the only dentist she has ever been to.  They may need to do a bridge for her because teeth are being pulled today.  We've offered to help cover what Medicaid won't.  We should have a better idea of what the cost will be for us if any next week.  Her teeth have been causing a lot of pain and she's been popping Tylenol like crazy so I'm relieved that she is getting the teeth pulled.  Hopefully, that reduces her pain and they can give her something else right after the dental work that is a better option for pregnant women.


No comments:

Post a Comment